How to build links to your site - a guide for beginners
- 1. Request links from local and (inter)national websites / directories.
- 2. Remember that every business is also possibly a building of interest and a tourist attraction as well.
- 3. Download the free SEOMOZ.org beginners guide to SEO for a complete beginners guide to SEO.
- 4. Join Social Networking and Bookmarking Sites such as Linkedin.com and where possible link to your site from all profiles you create.
- 5. Look where your competitors who are ranking highly for core key phrases (see the Google Keyword Tool) have got links from and try to follow their lead by using a tool like Yahoo Site Explorer.
- 6. Swap links with notable partners / suppliers.
- 7. Interlink all of your online prescences.
- 8. Create interesting and useful content on your site that people will link to of their own accord...
About the Author
Chris Byrne is a Certified Google Adwords Professional and am proficient in Search Engine Optimisation (using a content management system), experienced in online strategy research / analysis / definition for businesses of all sizes (up to a turnover of £100 million per year), competitor analysis, pay per click advertising, copywriting etc.
He is currently working for various clients including e-business and communications consultancies Voodoo E-Commerce UK (working on their clients Yamaha Music UK, Heals and Chappell of Bond Street among others) and wisetiger.co.uk, HR consultancy cubiks.com (managing international pay per click advertising) etc.
In his last salaried role he worked with UK fashion, music and luxury brands online, including helping Heals achieve one of the highest proportions of traffic from the Mosaic Group “Symbols of Success” (the wealthiest demographic according to the Mosaic classifications) for 4 weeks ending 1/12/07 according to Hitwise – see ‘Hitwise Lifestyle Snapshot Report’ on www.hitwise.com/news/uk200712.html. He has managed pay per click campaigns on the 3 major search engines with variable budgets of up to £1000 per day.
He has a consistent track record of helping clients obtain Top 10 positions accross the major search engines in competitive areas including double glazing, storage systems, health insurance etc including a top 10 position for the key phrase 'sheet music' (out of over 25 million listings) on Google.co.uk for the London music shop Chappell of Bond Street.